Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sea Guardians and sustainable seafood

I have great memories of fishing with my grandfather up near Gosford, catching Bream and Whiting and Flathead on my little hand reel. I remember helping him scale and gut the fish and then we would BBQ them afterwards, wrapping the fish in foil.

I even went prawning with my uncle once. We headed out at midnight, and I'm sure we hauled in netfuls of prawns but I don't know if that is just my childhood memories playing tricks on me or if our catch was really that good. I do remember boiling them up and eating some of them as soon as we got home...I can still remember the taste, they were so fresh.

When I grew up, I became a scuba diver and now I see fish in a slightly different light. Don't get me wrong...I still eat fish; one of my favourite meals is fish and chips, with fish (usually flathead tails) we buy from the market and crumb at home and chips we make with potatoes roasted with rosemary and salt.

But now I also get to hang out with them and see what they get up to. I get to see sponges and corals that can be hundreds of years old. I get to see sharks that slice through the water in a manner so incredibly graceful and powerful. I get to swim with loggerhead turtles and hear the whales sing through the water. I get to see a whole complete world that is beautiful beyond comparison. 

I also get to see the degradation of the environment. I've seen the northern pacific sea stars that are interlopers that ended up here from the hull of boats passing through and eat their way through our native ocean environment. I've seen coral bleaching. I haven't seen a hammerhead shark or a blue whale and I hope to get the chance to before they're gone.




The Australian Marine Conservation Society was started in the 1960s to stop an application to mine coral on the Great Barrier Reef. Today they focus on getting more areas declared as Marine National Parks, they aim to make our fisheries sustainable and to protect and recover our threatened marine species. Another key focus is to educate and advocate against human induced climate change.

Overfishing, pollution and coastal developments are killing our oceans quietly. It is estimated that over three quarters of the world's oceans...yes that's the world's not just one...is over-exploited or fished to its limits. Scientists believe that 90% of the large predatory fish (such as sharks) are gone, wiped out. The cruelty of some fishing techniques is terrible, shark finning sees sharks caught alive, their dorsal fins sliced off before they are thrown overboard to drown or get eaten alive by other fish as they sink to the bottom unable to swim. Long-lines are literally long lines stretching for kilometres, their baited hooks indescriminately taking any fish that comes along...and let's not even start on the charade of whaling for 'scientific' purposes that the Japanese conduct on an annual basis.

There are small things we can do to help. I became a Sea Guardian through the Marine Conservation Society. I want to give them some money on a monthly basis to help them continue the work they do.

Even if you don't have any money to spare, you can help by not buying endangered fish or only buying fish that are caught or farmed sustainably. The Society publishes Australia's Sustainable Seafood Guide:




You can buy the extended version from the website for $9.95 and you also get...

...no not six steak knives ... but a small business size version. I keep mine in my wallet.



This version briefly highlights the three steps to sustainable seafood:

1. Avoid overfished species (the full list is contained in this pocket guide).
2. Make a better choice (some examples are included).
3. Ask questions from your fish monger.

For example, Orange Roughy is overfished and is a big 'no thankyou' and is also sold under the name of deep sea perch or sea perch. (Orange Roughy are thought to have a life span of about 150 years and they don't start breeding until they hit 30 years old!)

I have seen these guides around and about ... so if you ask around you'll probably be able to pick one up somewhere.

The oceans make up about 72% of the surface of our planet...it's amazing how easily they are overlooked. Without them, we can't survive and I think it's important that we make them an essential part of our sustainable lifestyle...


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post Jane. I still have the little guide that Sim gave me and I use it when I go to the chip shop!

You are so right that the oceans keep us alive and we cannot exist without them.

Gav