Wednesday, April 8, 2009

From rock cakes to fig and walnut loaf

We invested in a breadmaker a few weeks ago and before we bought it we had a conversation about our potential use of yet another appliance. We have recently moved into a pretty small house and it has made us think about what we put in it. I guess we've finally realised that all these handy appliances are only helpful tools if you actually use them.
And I'm pleased to report so far we have been baking up a storm.

I have to admit to a few false starts; rock cakes that didn't rise and would have easily broken any window without much effort...we even gave them to the dogs who tried valiently to eat them but in the end even they had to admit defeat:



My first success (read: edible) attempt was a Fig and Walnut Loaf I adapted from a recipe I found on taste.com.au. It was also the first one I found that used honey as a sweetener rather than refined sugar. I only used the breadmaker to knead and raise the dough and have been baking it in the oven. I'm guessing this probably isn't the most energy efficient way to bake bread and one day I plan to do it all myself but I'm not the most brilliant person in the kitchen so it's still all a bit daunting.

So here's the easiest loaf to make:

Ingredients:
1 sachet of dry yeast (7g)
1 cup warm water
45 ml honey (3 tblspoons)
440g of bread flour (I've been using white but I think wholemeal would be tasty too)
1 tspoon ground cinnamon
1 tspoon salt
150g of dried figs, coursely chopped
100g coursely chopped walnuts
Small amount of olive oil

Place the yeast, warm water and honey into the breadmaker and leave for 10 minutes so the yeast activates. Then add the flour, cinnamon and salt and set the breadmaker to the dough setting. I've been adding a small amount of olive oil for a bit of extra moisture at this stage too. Our breadmaker beeps just before the end of the kneading process to add the figs and walnut so they don't get too mashed up.

When the breadmaker has done its thing, take out the dough and knead it for a couple of minutes (I usually have to mix the figs and walnuts in properly, then put it in a lightly greased bread tin and leave it to rise slightly for 10-15 minutes. Put the dough in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes to brown the crust, lower the temperature to 180 and bake for about another half an hour. When you tap it on the bottom it should sound hollow and then it's ready.

Now I take fruit toast to work instead of buying it...and make everyone jealous as they smell the cinnamon toasting in the lunchroom!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can personally recommend this recipe. It tastes fantastic, and is much better than store bought stuff.

Gav