Monday, April 6, 2009

The garden bed is undone!!

We came home today to find our small vegetable garden that we planted out on Saturday dug through and the cauliflower and cabbage dug up. I'm here to tell you that bird netting does not work as a dog deterrent...especially one that is addicted to Dynamic Lifter. 

So I'm trying to maintain my positive attitude which was a little shaky anyway when I walked through the door with my train home LATE AGAIN after an eight hour day looking out the window of my corporate office onto a flat, gray wall of concrete. And it's not like the dog did it on purpose...

I guess we may have to move to plan B, and build a gate before we get too carried away with planting too much more stuff. We managed to work out how to join redgum sleepers together so perhaps a gate will not be too much of a technical leap...and I can slowly erase the painful memories of wood working class in year 7 when I tried to make a truck out of wood and it turned into an uneven crate with uneven wheels held on by match sticks...interesting the things we hang onto from our childhood.



I don't know if you can see from the picture above but we have ready made posts with a pergola exactly where we need the gate so anyone got any great gate designs for a span of about 2.5 metres and some unhandy people?!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How about two smaller 1.2m gates that meet in the middle. Far easier to make, and less likely to drop from the weight. Next time you are around, have a look at my front gate. I made it myself from fence pailings. It was fairly simple.

Gav

Silver Rookie said...

hmmm...starting to get complicated Gav!! Two gates...
But seriously I will come and check the gate out thanks! Jane

greenfumb said...

We are going to build a fence and gates round our vege patches too, our dog thinks they make a good toilet! Bunnings had some quite good ones ready made and not all that pricey.